Non-Fungible Tokens (NFTs) have become one of the hottest blockchain trends of 2021, with overall revenue up 55% since 2020, from USD 250 million to USD 389 million. NFTs are unique collectible crypto assets that have been around us since early 2012 when the concept of Bitcoin-colored coins emerged.
Those coins were referred to as satoshis – small fractions of a bitcoin – marked or “colored in” with clear information that could associate coins with real-world assets. For example, “this satoshi represents $500 of John’s San Francisco office building. However, colored coins were adopted to create and trade arts like Rare Pepe digital cards on counterparty, a P2P trading platform developed on Bitcoin’s blockchain.
Funny frog images gathered from a viral internet meme were some of the first unique digital artwork linked to crypto tokens. It enabled the emergence and creation of new non-fungible token standards that allow developers to create NFTs.
NFTs are used to represent any intangible or tangible item virtually, including:
- Virtual Land
- Tokenized real-world assets
- Virtual items within video games, for example, weapons, avatars and skins.
NFTs offer a certificate of ownership of a digital object to the buyer and protect its value for future transactions. Using NFTs, an artist can sell their art virtually to a broad audience globally, allowing them to leverage a huge profit and manage royalties.
How to create NFTs?
Creating your own NFT artwork, whether a GIF or an image, is a straightforward process and does not need extensive knowledge of the crypto industry. Before you start creating NFTs, you need to decide which blockchain you want to issue your NFTs. Development of NFTs began with the Ethereum blockchain; however, a wide range of blockchains are available that are becoming popular for NFTs, including:
- Binance Smart Chain
Each blockchain platform has its own NFT token standard, compatible wallet services, and marketplaces to list the token. Ethereum has the largest NFT ecosystem; we have demonstrated how to create NFTs on Ethereum in this article.
Creating Non Fungible Tokens on Ethereum Blockchain
Following are the prerequisites that you will need to mint your NFT music, video or artwork on the Ethereum blockchain:
- An Ethereum-based wallet that is compatible with ERC-721 standards such as MetaMask, Coinbase or Trust Wallet.
- $50-$100 in Ethers (ETH). If you want to use a Coinbase wallet, you can buy ether from the platform with US dollars and other fiat currencies. Otherwise, you will have to purchase ETH from a cryptocurrency exchange.
Once you have the above prerequisites, you need to select NFT-centric platforms to connect your wallet and upload an image of the file you want to convert into an NFT.
Some of the top Ethereum NFT marketplaces include:
All the above platforms have a “create” button in the top right corner.
The image represents the position of the “Create” button on the OpenSea platform.
The image represents the position of the “Create” button on the Rarible Platform.
The image represents the position of “Mint an item”, i.e., creating an NFT on the Mintable platform.
Let’s look at how the process works on OpenSea, one of the largest Ethereum-based NFT marketplace.
- Click on the “create” button in the top right corner of the website. It will take you to a screen that asks you to connect your Ethereum-based wallet.
- Once you enter the wallet password when requested, it will connect your wallet with the marketplace. You may need to digitally sign a message in your Ethereum-based wallet to prove you own the wallet address. Signing a digital message does not incur a fee. It is only for showing that you own the wallet.
- After the wallet is connected, it will take you to a screen of “My Collections,” where you can access your existing collections or click the blue “Create” button to create a new collection.
- By clicking on the “Create” button, you will see a window that asks you to upload your artwork’s logo, add the name of the artwork, and a brief description of your work.
- Once you upload an image and add the required information, it will appear as shown below. You can also add a banner image by clicking on the pencil icon in the page’s top right corner.
- After this step, you are ready to create your first non-fungible token (NFT). Click the “Add new item” button and sign another message with your wallet.
- After you sign another message, a new window will appear where you can upload images, audio, video, or 3D model.
- OpenSea also allows you to include unique attributes and traits to increase the uniqueness and scarcity of the NFT. As a creator, you can also include unlockable content that the buyer can only view.Unlockable content can be anything from passwords to access specific services to contact information and discount codes.
Once you are done, click the “Create” button at the bottom and sign another message in your Ethereum wallet to confirm the NFT creation. You should view the artwork in your collection.
Though it costs nothing to make NFTs on OpenSea, some NFT platforms charge a fee known as “gas” with Ethereum-based platforms. Ethereum gas is an amount of ether needed to execute a specific function on the blockchain. The gas cost varies depending on network congestion. The more the number of people transacting value over the network at a given time, the higher the gas fees and vice versa.
NFTs issued on the blockchain eliminate intermediaries from the traditional art market by allowing buyers to get immediate access to a global market. Therefore, by creating non-fungible tokens, artists can earn money from their art easily, create and grow global supporter communities.
We provide a ready-to-deploy NFT marketplace that enables users to create, buy and sell NFTs on the platform. Users can add their NFTs to collections on our marketplace, see the NFT rankings, search and browse through the marketplace, place a bid, and much more.